- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Ingredients to be Creamed and Mixed:
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1¼ cups sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups peeled tart apples, finely chopped (1-2 medium-sized apples)
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 13x9x2 oblong baking pan.
- Beat butter and sugar on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl whisk together sour cream and vanilla; set aside.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to butter mixture. Slowly incorporate on low mixer speed.
- Add sour cream mixture to work bowl and beat on medium speed until batter is smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add and mix in the chopped apples.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the oatmeal streusel topping or the nut streusel topping over the batter.
- Bake until toothpick in center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool briefly. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).