- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Baking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
For Single recipe
(serves 4 to 6)
- One 8x8x2-inch square glass or ceramic baking pan, buttered
- 4 cups skinned, thinly sliced tart apples (about 4 medium apples)
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ⅔ to ¾ cup packed brown sugar (adjust sugar according to tartness of apples)
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup oats
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
For Double recipe
(serves 8 to 12)
- One 9x13x2-inch oblong glass or ceramic baking pan, buttered
- 8 cups skinned, thinly sliced tart apples (about 8 medium apples)
- ⅔ cup butter, melted
- 1⅓ to 1½ cup packed brown sugar (adjust sugar according to tartness of apples)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 375°.
- Butter the sides and bottom of the baking pan and set aside.
- Pour melted butter for crisp into a large bowl.
- Add brown sugar to butter and mix until incorporated.
- Add flour, oats, and spices to the bowl.
- Gently mix the ingredients together.
- Remove skin and cores of apples.
- Thinly slice apples.
- Arrange apples in bottom of baking pan.
- Sprinkle the crisp mixture over the apples.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and apples are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).