- Preparing Pastry: 20 minutes
- Preparing Filling: 15 minutes
- Baking Time: 45 to 55 minutes
- Cooling Time: At least 1 hour
- Total Time: Approximately 2½ hours
Sugar and Spice Mixture:
- ¾ cups sugar (1¼ cups sugar for green apples)
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced pared apples (about 6 medium)
- Cold water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vanilla bean ice cream (optional)
Using the regular bake setting, preheat oven to 425°. If you have a convection oven, select the convection bake setting and preheat to 400°.
- Prepare pastry for a standard 9-inch two-crust pie.
- Place bottom crust in a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
- Roll out top crust and let rest while assembling the pie ingredients.
- In a small bowl mix together sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Place thinly sliced apples in a large bowl.
- Stir sugar and spice mixture into apples.
- Turn apples into the pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate.
- **Note that the apples will be piled above the rim of the pie plate but will compress as they bake.
- Cut butter into small pieces and dot the apples.
- Cover the apples with top pie crust.
- Using a sharp knife cut slits in top crust so that steam can escape during baking process.
- Seal and flute the pie crust edges.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 teaspoon sugar and ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Brush the crust with cold water.
- Sprinkle top crust with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Cover the edge of the crust with a 2 to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake until the crust if golden brown and juice is beginning to bubble through the slits in the crust. Baking time should be 45 to 55 minutes.
- Do not undercook! The filling needs to heat through so that the flour can thicken up properly.
- Cool and serve with an optional scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top.