Baked Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squash; halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place squash on a large cutting board.
- Using a large, heavy duty knife, plunge point of knife into squash and then carefully bring the handle of the knife down from a 90° angle to a 45° or less.
- Once the knife has scored the entire length of the squash, press down firmly with both hands and allow the knife blade to cut the squash in half.
- Scoop the seeds and stringy material out with a soup spoon.
- Pierce the squash liberally with a sharp 2-pronged fork or paring knife.
- Place the 4 squash halves in a shallow ungreased baking dish cut side up.
- Place ½ tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and a dash of ground nutmeg in each squash half.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour until tender. A sharp fork or knife inserted into the squash will pierce the squash easily when the squash if done.
- To serve, use a spoon to scrape the squash from the rind. Mix well and either serve in the rind or transfer the squash to a serving bowl.