Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- 7 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 3½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ small onion, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 3-quart deep baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan bring water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil.
- Add the elbow macaroni to the boiling water and cook as directed or until tender.
- Drain macaroni in a colander.
- Pour drained macaroni back into saucepan.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the butter on medium-low heat.
- Add onion to melted butter and sauté until soft and golden brown in color; about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and spice mixture to the skillet and stir until blended.
- Whisk in milk and buttermilk. Stir on medium heat until sauce thickens; about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 3½ cups shredded cheese to the thickened sauce and whisk in.
- Pour sauce over noodles and mix well.
- Transfer to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.