Baked Orzo With Bacon, Mushrooms, and Peas
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Baking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Orzo and Peas:
- 1½ cup dried orzo
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and broken into small pieces
Ingredients To Be Sautéd:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 4 to 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Dry Ingredients For The Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Milk For The Sauce:
Parmesan Cheese For The Sauce:
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Parmesan Cheese Topping:
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- If you are using the optional bacon, cook bacon in a skillet. Remove from skillet, allow to cool, crumble into small pieces, and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from skillet. (If you opted out of using bacon skip this step.)
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet.
- With heat on medium low, add the onions to the pan and sauté until tender and golden in color.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic then pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat four cups salted water to a boil.
- Add the orzo and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add the peas to the orzo and cook for another 1 minute.
- Drain the orzo and peas and add to the mixing bowl.
- If you are using bacon, add to mixing bowl stirring to incorporate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the sauce.
- On medium-low heat melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter, stirring to incorporate.
- When the flour mixture begins to bubble, add the milk.
- Stirring constantly, bring the milk mixture to a simmer and allow to thicken; 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the orzo tossing to incorporate.
- Pour the orzo mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle ½ grated Parmesan over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.