Banana Bran Walnut Muffins
For Single recipe
(12 standard muffins or 6 large muffins)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup all bran cereal
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons safflower oil (or similar vegetable oil)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1⅓ cups mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3)
- ⅔ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
For Double recipe
(24 standard muffins or 12 large muffins)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all bran cereal
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup safflower oil (or similar vegetable oil)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2⅔ cups mashed ripe bananas (4 to 6)
- 1⅓ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease muffin pans and set aside. Use either a standard 12-muffin pan or a large 6-muffin pan.
- Add dry ingredients to a large bowl; mix together using a fork.
- Mash the bananas and pour into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add oil, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk to the bananas and mix together.
- Add the moist ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened (the batter should be lumpy).
- Stir in the nuts.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake 15 minutes for a standard muffin pan, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Bake 25 minutes for a large 6-muffin pan, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Immediately remove from pans and serve.