Ingredients to be Creamed:
- ⅔ cup butter (11 tablespoons)
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
Eggs and Vanilla:
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cup very ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- The riper the bananas the more banana flavor your cake will have
- 2⅓ cups flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt (⅛ teaspoon if using salted butter)
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Have ready 2 standard muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
- Cream butter in a work bowl.
- Add sugars and mix until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Remove skins from bananas.
- Place bananas on a plate and coarsely mash with a fork.
- Add vanilla and mashed bananas to work bowl and mix in.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Beat batter on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Spoon or ladle batter into cupcake liners so they are approximately ⅔ full.
- Batter should fill approximately 18 to 20 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- Frost with buttercream frosting or cream cheese frosting.