Bean and Cheese Burritos
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 8 burrito size flour tortillas (approximately 9 to 10-inches in diameter)
Beans, Cheese, and Salsa For Filling:
- One or two 16-ounce cans of refried beans (start with one, open another if needed)
- 2½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ¾ cup red salsa (or use your favorite store brand)
Salsa For Topping:
Cheese For Topping:
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, mix the 2½ cups shredded cheddar and 1½ cups shredded jack cheese together; set aside.
- Open 1 can of refried beans.
- Scoop the beans into a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a spoon or spatula, mix the beans until they have a good spreading consistency; set aside.
- Place the stack of tortillas on a flat surface.
- Spoon approximately ⅓ to ½ cup of refried beans in the center of the first tortilla. Use more or less refried beans depending on your preference.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon red salsa over beans.
- Sprinkle approximately ½ cup cheese mixture over beans. Use more or less cheese depending on your preference.
- Fold ⅓ of tortilla over the beans. Tuck it under the filling as tightly as possible.
- Fold sides of tortilla in.
- Roll the remaining ⅓ of tortilla over the center fold.
- Place the assembled burrito folded side down, in an ungreased 9x13 rectangular baking pan.
- Repeat procedure for remaining 7 tortillas.
- Once all burritos are assembled and in baking dish, spoon ½ cup red salsa over tops of finished burritos.
- Mix together ½ cup shredded sharp cheese and ½ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese.
- Sprinkle cheese mixture over the tops of the burritos.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.