- Preparing Pastry: 20 minutes
- Preparing Filling: 15 minutes
- Baking Time: 45 to 60 minutes
- Cooling Time: At least 1 hour
- Total Time: Approximately 2½ hours
- 1 standard 9-inch double pie crust
- ¾ to 1 cup sugar (adjust sugar based on tartness berries)
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 recipe Whipped cream (optional) or
- Vanilla ice cream
Using the regular bake setting, preheat oven to 425°. If you have a convection oven, select the convection bake setting and preheat to 400°.
- Prepare 1 standard 9-inch double pie crust.
- In a small bowl mix together sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Pour blueberries into a large bowl.
- Pour sugar, flour, cinnamon mixture over blueberries and mix gently.
- Turn blueberry mixture into a 9-inch pastry-lined pie plate.
- Sprinkle blueberries with lemon juice and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust.
- Seal and flute the crust.
- Make some slits in the top crust with a knife so that air can escape during baking.
- If desired, brush the top crust with cold water and sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar.
- Cover the edge of the crust with a 2 to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through the slits in the crust, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Do not undercook! The filling needs to heat through so that the flour can thicken up properly.
- Cool and serve.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).