Buttermilk Cornmeal Bread
- Dough Prep time: 30 minutes
- First rise: 1 hour
- Second rise: 45 minutes
- Baking time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours
Buttermilk and Cornmeal Mixture:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (or 2 packets)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup warm water
Ingredients to Add to Yeast Mixture:
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 5 to 6½ cups all-purpose flour
Oil for bowl:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Butter and Cornmeal for Loaf Tops:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
In a small saucepan, combine milk, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; remove from heat.
- Slowly whisk ¾ cup cornmeal into the buttermilk mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Stir honey into buttermilk and cornmeal mixture, set aside to cool.
- In large bowl of heavy-duty mixer, dissolve yeast and brown sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add eggs, cooled cornmeal mixture, and 2 cups of the flour.
- Using a electric mixer or the paddle attachment for a stand mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Remove mixer or paddle attachments from bowl.
- Insert a dough hook into the stand mixer.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough will be soft and buttery, but not sticky to the touch.
- Grease a large glass or ceramic bowl with the vegetable oil.
- Place dough in bowl, turning to coat all sides with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with a slightly damp towel (flour sack towels are great for this).
- Let the dough rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Grease 2 standard loaf pans. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cornmeal over the bottom and sides of each pan; set aside.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead dough for 30 seconds.
- Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes
- Divide dough in half; shape into loaves.
- Place in prepared pans.
- Cover pans with a dry towel.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush tops of loaves with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Sprinkle remaining cornmeal over the tops of the loaves.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped with fingertip.
- Remove from pans. Cool on racks.
Recipe adapted from Breads, by Sharon Tyler Herbst. Tuscan: HPBooks (1983).