Ingredients To Be Creamed and Mixed:
- 12 tablespoons, softened (1½ sticks) butter
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2¼ cups flour (or 2⅓ cups cake flour)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter add ¼ teaspoon salt)
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Have ready 2 standard muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy; about 1 minute.
- Gradually add sugar and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture; about 4 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time; beating for 30 seconds on medium-high speed with each addition.
- Add vanilla and mix in.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Spoon or ladle batter into cupcake liners so they are approximately ⅔ full.
- Batter should fill approximately 18 to 20 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
Recipe from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).