Buttermilk Layer Cake
Ingredients To Be Creamed and Mixed:
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened (1½ sticks)
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2¼ cups flour (or 2⅓ cups cake flour)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter add ¼ teaspoon salt)
Preheat oven to 350°.
- For 2-layer cake grease and flour two 9-inch pans.
- For rectangular cake grease and flour a 13x9x2 oblong pan.
- Click here for instructions on how to prepare cake pans for baking.
- For cupcakes go to my buttermilk cupcakes recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy; about 1 minute.
- Gradually add sugar and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture; about 4 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time; beating for 1 minute on medium-high speed with each addition.
- Add vanilla and mix in.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Divide the batter between the cake pans and spread evenly.
- For round cake pans bake 25-30 minutes. For a rectangular baking pan bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cake is done when it springs back from a light touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for exactly 10 minutes then remove from pans.
- Click here to see how to how to remove cakes from pans.
- Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).