Grandma Dorothy's Buttermilk Potato Rolls
- Dough Prep time: 20 minutes
- First rise: 1 hour
- Second rise: 1 hour
- Baking time: 15 minutes
Yeast and Flour:
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 4 to 5 cups flour
Ingredients To Be Heated:
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ butter, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons salt
Oil For Bowl:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Glazes for Baking:
- 1 egg white blended with 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Peel, cube, and boil 1 small potato in 1 cup of water.
- Drain the potato.
- Mash the potato and measure out ½ cup; set aside.
- Oil a large bowl and set aside.
- In a work bowl, whisk together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- In a saucepan, heat together buttermilk, sugar, ¼ butter, and salt until just warm, stirring constantly until butter almost melts.
- Add the warm mixture from the saucepan to the work bowl.
- Stir with a spatula to incorporate.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the ½ mashed potatoes and the egg.
- Using a dough hook, mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft, smooth, and elastic dough.
- Dough should be as soft as can be without sticking to hands or work surface.
- Place dough in the oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with a slightly damp towel (flour sack towels are great for this).
- Let the dough rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Remove dough from bowl to a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- It is now time to shape the rolls. See the "Comments" section below to determine what type of roll you would like to make.