- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 mashed anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and mashed to a paste or ½ teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ cup to 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Croutons (optional)
With your fingers, tear the lettuce leaves into 1-inch pieces and add to a large serving bowl.
- If you are using 2 anchovy fillets, rinse and pat dry and then mash into a paste. Note that you can substitute ½ teaspoon anchovy paste for the 2 anchovy fillets.
- In a bowl, whisk garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mashed anchovies (optional), and mayonnaise together.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes so that the lemon juice brings out the full flavor of the garlic.
- Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the bowl; whisking as you pour. This method will allow the ingredients to mesh together and make a smooth, well-incorporated salad dressing.
- Pour dressing over lettuce and mix.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over salad and toss.
- Add croutons (optional) and serve immediately.