Candied and Spicy Butternut Squash
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cooling time: 10 minutes
For Single recipe
(Makes 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely diced butternut squash
For Double recipe
(Makes 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 cups finely diced butternut squash
Place a piece of parchment paper over a cooling rack and set aside.
- Peel butternut squash, remove seeds, and finely dice; set aside.
- Add sugar, water, vanilla extract, and pepper to a medium saucepan.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved; 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash to the saucepan; toss to coat with sugar mixture.
- Bring the squash and sugar mixture to a gentle boil on medium-low heat cooking until the squash is golden brown and glossy and the sugar mixture has caramalized; about 15 to 20 minutes.
- With the parchment paper and cooling rack ready, remove the squash from the heat.
- Working quickly use a heat proof spatula to spread the squash out over the parchment paper in a single layer.
- Allow squash to cool.
- Break apart any large clumps with your fingers.