- Preparation time: 15 minutes
Butter, Salt, and Powdered Sugar:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- Dash salt
- 3¼ cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup boiling water
Sugar To Be Melted and Browned:
In a large mixing bowl, cream 6 tablespoons butter.
- Add a dash of salt.
- Add the powdered sugar.
- Boil water in a kettle so it is ready to add to the melted sugar.
- In a small saucepan, heat ¼ cup sugar over low heat, stirring constantly, until it is completely melted to a liquid form and golden brown in color.
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully and gradually add ⅓ cup boiling water to the melted sugar, whisking until the melted sugar and water are completely mixed together.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly drizzle the caramelized sugar and water liquid over the powdered sugar mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Recipe fills and frosts two 8-inch layers, 24 cupcakes, or a 13 x 9-inch oblong cake.