Cheddar Cheese Water Bagels
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 1st rise: 1 hour
- 2nd rise: 30 minutes
- Boiling time: 1 minute
- Baking time: 25 to 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or 1 packet of active dry yeast)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ cups warm water or warm potato water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4½ cups flour
- 1 cup medium or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Oil for bowl:
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil or equivalent vegetable oil
Flour For Second Rise:
Water for Boiling:
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
In a large work bowl, dissolve yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1½ cups warm water until yeast becomes foamy.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, and 2 cups of the flour.
- Using a electric mixer or the paddle attachment for a stand mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Remove mixer or paddle attachments from bowl.
- Insert a dough hook into the stand mixer.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Grease a large bowl.
- Place dough in bowl, turning to coat all sides with oil.
- Cover with a slightly damp towel.
- Let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead for 30 seconds.
- Divide dough into 8 balls.
- Press your thumb through the center of each ball of dough.
- Gently enlarge hole; smooth edges.
- Place bagels on a lightly floured surface.
- Cover with a dry towel.
- Let rise for 30 minutes.
- While the bagels are rising take care of the next 5 steps.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Use the pure convection setting of 350° if you are baking more than one sheet of bagels at a time.
- In a large pot, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 3 quarts of water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat so that water simmers gently.
- Carefully lower bagels into water 1 at a time.
- Cook 3 to 4 bagels at a time.
- Bagels will sink, then rise to the surface immediately.
- Boil 30 seconds on each side, turning with a large slotted spoon.
- Using the slotted spoon, remove boiled bagels from boiling water and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Brush with egg-yolk glaze.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on racks.
Recipe from Breads, by Sharon Tyler Herbst. Tuscan: HPBooks (1983).