Chicken Noodle Soup
- Cooking the Chicken: 1 hour
- Preparing Vegetables: 30 minutes
- Cooking the Soup: 1 hour
- Total time: 2½ hours
Chicken and Vegetables:
- 1 whole fryer, cooked, deboned and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 red potatoes, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
Noodles and Additional Broth:
- One 12-ounce bag extra wide egg noodles
- 2 cups chicken broth or water if necessary
Side Dish Recommendations:
Pour olive oil into a dutch oven.
- Add onion and cook until golden brown; 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and garlic and cook until lightly browned; 5 minutes.
- Add celery and cook until tender; 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, potatoes, corn, peas, broth, and spices.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add egg noodles and cook uncovered until noodles are tender; approximately 6 minutes; serve. If noodles soak up too much of the broth add more broth to suit your tastes.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).