Chinese Fried Rice
- Rice cooked and refrigerated in advance: 4 to 24 hours
- Veggie and egg prep time: 20 minutes
- Frying rice: 10 to 15 minutes
- Total time: Approximately 4½ hours
- 1 recipe Steamed Rice cooked in chicken broth, approximately 4 cups cooked rice. Refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for cooking:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen peas (8-ounces), cooked and drained
- 2 carrots, chopped and cooked until tender
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
Cook steamed rice, substituting chicken broth for the water. Cook anywhere from 4 to 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate.
- Rice must be chilled before cooking so that when fried it crisps up nicely.
- Place eggs in a small bowl and beat slightly with a fork
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fry eggs on one side and then turn and fry on the other side.
- Remove eggs from frying pan.
- Cool eggs and cut into small pieces; set aside.
- Cook peas and carrots; set aside.
- Cut scallions; set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together rice, eggs, peas, carrots, and garlic.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat. I like to use my cast iron pan for this, as it really helps the rice crisp up nicely.
- Add rice mixture to frying pan.
- Mix in soy sauce and 2 tablespoons chicken broth.
- Cook until mixture is light golden brown on bottom.
- With a large spatula, gently flip the rice mixture so the top portions brown.
- Add scallions.