Chinese Stir Fry with Chicken
- Preparing Chicken: 10 minutes
- Preparing Vegetables: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- 1 boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon stir fry sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons safflower oil (or any oil that does well with high heat)
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 yellow or red pepper, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets. Peel stem and slice (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems).
- 6-8 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- One 15-ounce can baby corn, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or rice wine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (½ of a lime)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- One 6-ounce package of soba noodles, cooked and drained
- Steamed Rice
Place boneless chicken breast pieces in a small bowl.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon stir fry sauce.
- Set chicken aside or do this step a few hours ahead and refrigerate.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until it begins to soften and become golden in color.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add garlic, carrots, baby corn, broccoli stems (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems), and yellow or red pepper.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Toss in broccoli florets and optional sliced mushrooms.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes with wok lid on, or until broccoli is just barely tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the wok to a medium-sized bowl; set aside.
- Heat wok to medium, add oil if necessary.
- Add chicken to wok.
- Cook chicken for a few minutes until it becomes opaque.
- Add vegetables to wok and mix in with chicken.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the stir fry sauce.
- Toss ingredients in wok bowl and then cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- If you are making stir fry with soba noodles, add the cooked noodles and remaining stir fry sauce to the wok, mix in and serve.
- If you are serving stir fry on steamed rice, cook stir fry as directed above, adding all of remaining stir fry sauce to cooked chicken and vegetables. Skip steps for noodles. Serve stir fry with steamed rice.