- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 15 minutes
- Baking time: 6 minutes
- Total time: Approximately 45 minutes
Ingredients to be Creamed:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2-ounces unsweetened chocolate; melted and cooled
Moist Ingredients to be Mixed In:
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dry Ingredients to be Mixed In:
- 2¼ cups flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- You will need a standard cookie press to make spritz. See the photo slide show if you are unfamiliar with this tool.
- Colored sugars or sprinkles (optional).
Heat oven to 400°. If using a convection oven choose the pure convection setting on 375°.
- Get out cookie sheets; set aside. DO NOT grease the cookie sheets, as the dough will not stick to the sheets as it comes out of the cookie press.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat the process until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Set the chocolate aside to cool. If you do not have a microwave click here for other options on melting chocolate.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add melted and cooled chocolate to butter and sugar mixture; mix well.
- Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Chill dough for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place dough in cookie press; form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate leftover dough until you are ready to press.
- *Note: If dough will not come through cookie press into a nice shape, refrigerate and try again after 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you want to decorate the cookies with holiday themed colors, sprinkle with colored sugars or sprinkles before baking.
- Bake until set but not brown; 6 minutes.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Cool on rack.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).