Chocolate Zucchini Oatmeal Scones
- 2 cups flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Butter to Cut In:
- 10 tablespoons butter (1 stick + 2 tablespoons)
Oats and Additional Flavors To Be Mixed In:
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup finely shredded zucchini
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 400°. If using a convection oven, preheat to pure convection 375°. Note: I only use pure convection if I am baking more than one cookie sheet of scones at a time.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Mix in oats, chocolate chips, and optional walnuts.
- In a small bowl mix together zucchini, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Stir together gently with a fork.
- Use your hands to finish pulling the dough together into a ball.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Using the palm of your hand press the dough into a round that is about 8 to 9-inches in diameter and 1-inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Note: For a more traditional looking scone, use a knife to cut the round into 8 triangular-shaped wedges.
- Bake in oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until tops are firm to the touch.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread or drizzle chocolate glaze over the top of the scones.