- Dough Prep time: 15 minutes
- First rise: 1½ hours
- Second rise: 1½ hours
- Baking time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours
Sweet Yeast Dough Yeast Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast (or 1 packet of dry yeast)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup warm water (110F, 45C)
Sweet Yeast Dough Moist Ingredients:
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup dairy sour cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sweet Yeast Dough Dry Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3¼ to 3¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Oil For Bowl:
- 1 tablespoon oil for bowl
Butter For Spreading:
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cream or milk
In a large work bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add moist ingredients.
- Add salt, cinnamon, and 2 cups of the flour.
- Using a hand mixer, or a mixing paddle on a stand mixer, mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Remove the mixer/paddle blades from the mixer and insert a dough hook.
- Add in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. The dough will feel soft and buttery, but not sticky.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides with the oil.
- Cover with a slightly damp towel.
- Let dough rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1½ hours.
- Punch down dough; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Generously grease a 13 x 9-inch rectangular glass or ceramic oblong baking pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 24-inch by 12-inch rectangle.
- Spread 4 tablespoons of room temperature butter over the rectangle, leaving ½" not buttered on one of the short sides.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the buttered surface.
- Lightly press the brown sugar mixture into the surface of the dough with the back of spoon or the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Sprinkle optional raisins and chopped nuts over brown sugar mixture and press gently into the surface of the dough with the back of a spoon or the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Beginning on buttered short side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll fashion.
- Pinch seams to seal.
- Cut roll into 12 equal slices.
- Arrange cut-side down about ½-inch apart in the prepared pan.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk; about 1½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare glaze by mixing powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk together in a small bowl.
- Drizzle or spread glaze over the warm rolls.
Recipe from Breads, by Sharon Tyler Herbst. Tuscan: HPBooks (1983).