Cocoa Fudge Cake
Ingredients to be Creamed and Mixed:
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⅔ cups all purpose flour (or 2 cups cake flour)
- ⅔ cups cocoa
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°.
- For 2 layer cake grease and flour two 9-inch pans. Click here for instructions on how to prepare cake pans for baking.
- For rectangular cake grease and flour a 13x9x2 oblong pan.
- For a bundt cake. Grease and lightly flour a 12-cup bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- For cupcakes see my cocoa fudge cupcakes recipe.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add brown and white sugar.
- Beat on high speed for 1 minute until butter and sugar are well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time and beating on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes; scraping bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup mix together the buttermilk and vanilla; set aside.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Once all ingredients are mixed together, beat on medium high speed, scraping bowl occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Cake is done when it springs back from a light touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you are making two 9-inch round cakes bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool 9-inch round cake pans on a rack for exactly 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. Click here to see how to how to remove cakes from pans.
- Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- If you are making an oblong cake bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- If you are making a bundt cake bake 40 to 45 minutes.
- To remove cake from bundt pan: Plug the kitchen sink. Place a kitchen towel in the bottom of the kitchen sink. Pour boiling water over the towel until it is saturated. Carefully place the bundt pan on top of the kitchen towel. Let it sit for 10 seconds. Remove the bundt pan from the sink. Invert pan onto a cooling rack. Remove the pan and allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).