Cocoa Fudge Cupcakes
Ingredients to be Creamed and Mixed
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⅔ cups all purpose flour (or 2 cups cake flour)
- ⅔ cups cocoa
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Have ready 2 standard muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add brown and white sugar. Beat on high speed for 1 minute until butter and sugar are well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time and beating on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium high speed for 2 minutes; scraping bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup mix together the buttermilk and vanilla; set aside.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Once all ingredients are mixed together, beat on medium high speed, scraping bowl occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Spoon or ladle batter into cupcake liners so they are approximately ⅔ full.
- Batter should fill approximately 18 to 20 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).