Ingredients For Crust:
- ¾ cup butter, softened (1½ sticks)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ cups flour
Ingredients For Topping:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (I prefer dark brown sugar, but light works just as well)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (omit salt if using salted butter)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut (or ½ cup flaked coconut and ½ cup chopped walnuts)
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream butter and add powdered sugar, mixing until light and fluffy.
- Add 1½ cups flour and slowly mix in until dough holds together (it may be a bit crumbly and that is okay).
- Press the dough into a very lightly-greased aluminum oblong pan, 13x9x2 inches.
- Bake until golden brown; 12 to 15 minutes.
- Mix remaining ingredients. Spread over baked layer.
- Bake 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool and then cut into diamond shapes. See slide show for a demonstration on how to cut the cookies.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).