Coconut Pecan Filling (For German Chocolate Cake)
- 1 cup sugar (see note below)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
- 1⅓ cups flaked unsweetened dried coconut (see note below)
- 1⅓ cups chopped pecans
Combine sugar, evaporated milk, egg yolks, and butter in a medium saucepan. Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to separate eggs.
- Cook, whisking constantly, over medium-heat until the mixture is thickened and bubbling gently around the edges.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in unsweetened coconut and pecans.
- Let cool until spreadable.
Recipe from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).