- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Heaping ¼ cup sugar (*see note below)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (½ cup) melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional, see note below)
Preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease an 8-inch square pan; set aside. If you are making corn muffins grease or paper line a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine and whisk together dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, and vanilla.
- Add milk mixture and melted butter to flour mixture.
- Stir until just blended.
- Pour mixture into the greased 8-inch pan.
- For corn muffins: Spoon batter into muffin pans so they are approximately ⅔ full.
- For 8-inch pan bake for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- For corn muffins bake for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.