- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Butter to Cut In:
- 10 tablespoons butter (1 stick + 2 tablespoons)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 400°. If you using a convection oven, preheat to pure convection 375°. Note: I only use pure convection if I am baking more than one cookie sheet of scones at a time.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter.
- In a small bowl mix together buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients.
- Stir together gently with a fork.
- Use your hands to finish pulling the dough together into a ball.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Using the palm of your hand press the dough into a 1-inch thick round that is about 8 to 9-inches in diameter.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Note: For a more traditional looking scone, use a knife to cut the round into 8 triangular-shaped wedges.
- Bake in oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.