Dark Chocolate and Walnut Holiday Bars
Ingredients to be Creamed:
- 1¼ cups butter, softened (2½ sticks)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
Chocolate and Nuts:
- One 12-ounce bag of dark, semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside. Click here to learn more about how to grease cookie sheets.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Mix in flour and salt.
- Press dough onto the greased cookie sheet. If the dough is sticky, lightly dust the palm of your hand before pressing the dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately pour chocolate chips on top of baked dough.
- As the chocolate chips melt spread over the cooked crust with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the walnuts over the melted chocolate.
- Cool for 1 to 2 hours, or until the chocolate is completely set.
- Cut into 1 or 2-inch bars.
- The best way to cool the bars is to stick the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.