- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small saucepan bring butter and buttermilk just to a simmer.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients. Stir with fork or knead by hand 2 or 3 times until mixture just comes together.
- Using a large spoon drop dumplings into the liquid of your choice.
- Cook, covered for 10 minutes and serve.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).