Easy Cheese Crackers
Ingredients for Food Processor:
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated cheese of your choice (I recommend either cheddar or Parmesan)
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced (about ½ teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup buttermilk, more as needed
- Coarse salt, pepper, sesame or poppy seeds or seasoning of your choice
Preheat oven on the pure convection setting to 325°. If you do not have a convection oven heat the oven to 350°.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Put flour, salt, paprika, pepper, cheese, garlic, butter, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until flour and butter are combined.
- Add buttermilk, letting the food processor run until the mixture holds together but is not sticky. If needed, add more buttermilk a teaspoon at a time until the mixture comes together.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to approximately ¼-inch to ½-inch thick rectangle.
- Transfer dough to the parchment paper lined cookie sheet. You can drape the dough over the rolling pin to make the transfer easier.
- Score the dough lightly with a sharp knife, pizza cutter, or pastry wheel. Scores should be about 1-inch apart and run both horizontally and vertically on the dough. This will allow you to break the crackers into squares after they have baked.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned. Watch the crackers carefully so they do not burn.
- Cool on a rack.
Adapted from, Mark Bittman. "The Minimalist: Make It Snappy, And the Richer, The Better". The New York Times, February 4, 2009. .