Easy Walnut Walkaway Pastries
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ warm water
Flour and Butter:
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1¼ sticks)
- 3-ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Chop the walnuts and set aside.
- Add yeast, sugar, and warm water to a work bowl. Let the yeast stand for 5 to 10 minutes, until it becomes foamy.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine flour and salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour until crumbly.
- Add the butter and flour mixture to the work bowl containing the yeast.
- Add the egg to the work bowl.
- Mix the yeast, flour, and egg mixture on medium speed until it makes a soft dough. (If you are using a stand mixer, use a regular paddle beater, not the dough hook.)
- Split the dough into two rounds.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough round into a 13x9 rectangle.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and lemon juice until well-blended and light.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over each rectangle of dough; leaving a half-inch edge.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over the filling.
- Beginning on the long (13-inch) side, roll the dough tightly.
- Pinch the ends together and tuck under
- Place roll seam side down on the greased cookie sheet. Each roll will spread out while baking so allow 2-inches of space around the outside edge of the cookie sheet and 2 to 3-inches in between the two rolls.
- Take a paring knife and make a shallow lengthwise score down the center of each roll.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the roll has spread out and is a light golden color.
- Cool and drizzle with frosting.
- Cut and serve.
A recipe from my grandmother's recipe box.