French Potato Salad
- Boiling potatoes: 20 to 25 minutes
- Assembly: 15 minutes
- 3 pounds waxy potatoes, about 6 medium-sized potatoes (red or yellow work well), boiled and cubed (peeling is optional)
Onions, Capers, and Pickles:
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained and rinsed capers, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup dill pickle, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely snipped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely snipped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Place whole potatoes in a Dutch oven.
- Cover with cold water.
- Bring potatoes to a boil.
- Simmer potatoes, covered for 20 to 30 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
NOTE: Potatoes should be on the firm side, as they will continue to cook after removing from heat.
- Drain potatoes and set aside to cool.
- Chop onion, capers, and pickles; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients; set aside.
- Cube the potatoes when they are just barely cool enough to handle. Note: If you are peeling the potatoes, do so before cubing.
- Place the warm, cubed potatoes in a medium serving bowl.
- Add chopped onion, capers, and dill pickle and toss gently.
- Add dressing and toss gently.
- Add salt to taste, if necessary.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.