- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 non-stick skillet (a shallow pan with flared sides works best)
- 1 tablespoon butter (you can substitute bacon fat or vegetable oil for the butter)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheese of your choice
- 3 tablespoons of fried ham, bacon, or mild sausage.
- 3 tablespoons sautéd vegetables of your choice, cooked until lightly golden brown (about 3 to 5 minutes). Good candidates are mushrooms, onion, zucchini, red or yellow pepper.
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, finely chopped. Good candidates are chives, parsley, scallions.
- 1 tablespoon salsa
Crack eggs and pour into a small mixing bowl.
- Add a dash of salt and ground black pepper.
- Using a knife, lightly break up the egg yolks.
- If you are planning to add any sautéd vegetables to the cooked eggs, sauté the vegetables first, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Melt butter in the skillet over low heat.
- Lift the pan off of the heat and swirl the butter around so that the butter is spread evenly on the bottom and sides of the pan. You can also use a heatproof spatula so spread the butter around the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Pour the eggs into skillet.
- DO NOT STIR the eggs.
- Allow the eggs to slowly cook in the pan for 1 to 2 minutes.
- As the yolks and whites begin to set up, take a spatula and lift up the edge of the fried egg.
- If the bottom of the fried egg is a light, golden brown it is time to turn the eggs over.
- Slide the spatula under the entire fried egg.
- Gently lift the fried egg up and quickly flip over.
- Sprinkle with a dash of salt and black pepper.
- Cook for another 2 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle any optional toppings on top of the fried egg.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.