Fully Cooked Bone In Ham
- Baking time: 15 to 18 minutes per pound
- Half Ham at 6 pounds: 1½ to 2 hours
- Whole Ham at 12 pounds: 3 to 3½ hours
Preheat oven to 325°. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Allow 15 minutes per pound when calculating how long to bake the ham. For example, if the ham weighs 8 pounds, the cooking time would be 2 hours.
- Place the ham in a shallow roasting pan.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, score the top of the ham from left to right and then right to left to make a crosshatch (diamond) pattern. This will give the ham a crisp crust.
- Using a toothpick, make a hole in the center of each diamond of the crosshatch and insert a whole clove.
- Once you have determined your baking time, plan to brush on the glaze for baked ham 30 minutes before the ham is finished baking.
- A fully cooked ham is done when the a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat reads 140°.
- When the ham is done, remove from the oven to a platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remember that the internal temperature of the meat will rise 5° while it is resting.
- Remove the whole cloves from the ham.
- Carve and serve.