- Dough chilling time: 2 to 24 hours
- Baking time: 30 minutes
- ¾ cup butter (1½ sticks); melt and cool
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt (omit salt if using salted butter)
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped (optional)
Sugar For Rolling:
Mix melted butter and brown sugar in work bowl.
- Add and mix in molasses, vanilla and egg.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix well, scraping down sides of work bowl as needed.
- Cover dough and chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours; preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. If using a convection oven set to pure convection at 350°.
- Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets. Click here to learn more about how to grease cookie sheets.
- Pour granulated sugar into a small bowl.
- Place a 9 x 12 sheet of waxed paper on a kitchen countertop.
- Pinch off pieces of dough to form 1-inch balls.
- Roll each dough ball in granulated sugar and place on cookie sheet. Do not crowd dough balls together, as they will flatten out when baking.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cookies are done baking when they are a nice even brown with some cracks on the top. They may be slightly underdone on top, but will firm up as they cool. Do not over bake.