Grilled Baked Potatoes
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 to 45 minutes
- 1 baking potato per person
- Olive oil
- Toppings of your choice: butter, salt and pepper, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives are just a few suggestions
Preheat grill to direct medium heat. If you have a temperature gauge try to keep the grill between 400° and 450°.
- If you are grilling more than one potato, try to pick potatoes that are fairly uniform in size.
- Scrub off baking potato with a vegetable brush.
- Pierce potato with a sharp fork or knife approximately 2 to 3 times so the potato does not explode during the cooking process.
- Rub olive oil over the skin of the potato.
- Sprinkle the potato with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the potato in foil.
- Place the potato on the grill.
- Grilling time will vary based on the size of the potato you are grilling. Small potatoes will only need to cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Large potatoes will need to cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Turn the potato over half way through the grilling time.
- The potato will be done when it feels soft when squeezed with an oven mitt. If you are unsure of whether or not the potato is done, remove from grill, unwrap and pierce with a sharp knife. If will be done if the knife penetrates the potato easily.
- Remove the potato from the grill and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove from foil and serve with your favorite toppings.