- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- One or more 1 to 3-inch thick steaks (the higher quality cut the better). Plan on ½ pound of meat per person
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil per steak
- ½ teaspoon salt per steak
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper per steak
If you are using steaks from the freezer, make sure steaks are completely defrosted before preparation.
- Bring the steaks to room temperature by leaving them wrapped on the counter for a half hour.
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Liberally rub oil on both sides of the steaks.
- Apply salt and pepper to both sides of the steaks.
- Let the steaks marinate in the oil, salt, and pepper mixture for 5 minutes.
- Place the steaks on the grill.
- Grill 5 minutes per side, flipping once midway through the five minutes.
- Plan for a cooking time of 10 minutes per each 1-inch of thickness of the steak.
- Cook a 1-inch steak for 10 minutes total. Cook for slightly less time if you would like a rare steak, and slightly more time if you would like a well-done steak.
- To test the doneness of the steak, press a fork into the top while it is cooking. If it is done, the meat should spring back to its original position fairly quickly.
- Remove steak from grill.
- Cover lightly with a piece of foil.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes.