- Bring to room temperature: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Water bath cooling: 30 minutes
- Refrigerate: 2 to 24 hours
- Fresh Unshelled Large Eggs
- 2 to 4 quarts of water, enough to cover a single layer of eggs with about 1-inch of water above the top of the eggs
If possible, allow eggs to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bring 2 to 4 quarts of water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Gently lower the eggs into the water using a slotted spoon.
- Return the water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook eggs uncovered for 14 minutes. If you are using small to medium eggs cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove eggs from heat.
- Immediately place eggs in a bowl.
- Place the bowl in a sink and run cold water over them for 1 minute to prevent further cooking.
- Turn off the water but let eggs sit in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain out half of the water from the bowl.
- Place eggs in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove eggs from refrigerator.
- Gently tap the egg on a hard, flat surface to crack the shell.
- Roll the egg in between the palms of your hands to loosen the shell.
- Peel the shell from the egg.
- Rinse the egg with water to remove any pieces of shell.