Hawaiian (Teriyaki) Chicken
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- 3 chicken breasts (bone in preferred)
- 2 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides (approximately 5 minutes per side).
- Turn off heat and spoon excess oil out of frying pan.
- Pour soy sauce mixture over the chicken.
- Bring to simmer, turn heat to low with lid on.
- Simmer chicken on one side for 12 minutes.
- Turn chicken and simmer 12 more minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, Des Moines: Meridith Corporation (1979).