- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ cups whole milk (see comments below for milk options)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Marshmallows (optional)
Stir together cocoa and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Vigorously whisk in milk by in a slow, steady stream.
- On medium heat, stir constantly just until bubbles appear at the sides of the saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a coffee mug.
- Top with optional marshmallows.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).