- Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cocoa and Water Mixture:
- ⅓ unsweetened cocoa
- ⅓ sugar
- Dash salt
- ½ cup water
Whisk together cocoa, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in water.
- Stirring constantly bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continuing to stir, simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in milk; heat to a simmer (DO NOT boil).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Beat with rotary mixer or immersion blender just before serving.
- Top with optional whipped cream or marshmallows.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, Des Moines: Meridith Corporation (1979).