How To Boil Whole Potatoes
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 to 40 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 to 6 russet potatoes, scrubbed to remove excess dirt on skin
Scrub dirt off of potatoes.
- Place whole potatoes (with peel on) in a Dutch oven.
- Add enough water to the Dutch oven to cover the potatoes.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil.
- Simmer potatoes, uncovered, for 40 to 60 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the size of the potatoes.
- Potatoes are done when still firm but can easily be pierced by a fork. DO NOT overcook, as the potatoes will fall apart and turn to mush.
- Potatoes will be so hot that they will cook even after removed from heat, so it is best to remove from heat while on the firm side.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove potatoes from the Dutch oven and place in a large strainer.
- Let potatoes cool in the strainer until they can be easily handled.
- Pull the potato skins off of the potatoes.
- Cut away any blemishes on the potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into cubes.