Instant Pot Roasted Chicken
- Total time: About 1 hour total
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
Veggies and Lemon For Cavity:
- ½ celery stalk, quartered
- ¼ small onion, quartered
- 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ lemon, sliced
Oil and Spice Rub:
- 2 tablespoons saffola oil (or oil with high smoke point)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
Remove any wrapped parts from chicken cavity and either toss or use for chicken giblet gravy.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Rub 1 teaspoon salt in the cavity.
- Place veggies and lemon slices in the cavity of the chicken.
- Mix oil and spices together in a small bowl.
- Rub the oil and spice mixture over the chicken.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Press "Sauté" on the cooker. Note: Do not use lid when sautéing.
- When the word "Hot" appears on the display add oil.
- Place the chicken, breast side down, in the preheated Instant Pot, allowing to crisp up; about 3 to 4 minutes total.
- Using the tongs, remove the chicken to a plate.
- Place the trivet/steam rack in the cooker.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Place the chicken on the trivet, breast side up.
- Place the lid on the cooker and lock in place per Instant Pot instructions.
- Check to make sure the steam release handle points to "Sealing".
- Press the "Manual" high pressure setting.
- Set the timer according to the size of your chicken. Cooking time will be 8 minutes per pound.
- Time for a 3 pound chicken: 24 minutes
- Time for a 4 pound chicken: 32 minutes
- Time for a 5 pound chicken: 40 minutes
- The Instant Pot will automatically build up internal pressure. This can take up to 10 minutes. Once the unit is pressurized a timer will automatically display the amount of cooking time you programmed.
- When the timer goes off the cooker will automatically go to the "Keep Warm/Cancel" mode.
- Allow the cooker to cool down naturally until the float valve drops down. This can take up to 15 minutes.
- Carefully unlock and remove the lid.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving plate.