Italian Veggie Toss With Chicken
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil to cook chicken in
- 1 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow or red pepper, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, separated into small florets
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets. Peel stem and slice (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems).
- 1 tablespoon crushed basil (or ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- One 16-ounce bag fusilli pasta (or pasta of your choice) cooked as directed
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
Place cut up chicken breast in bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and basil to chicken and mix.
- Stir in olive oil and sherry to bowl.
- Place chicken in refrigerator until ready to cook. You can prepare chicken up to 2 hours before cooking and refrigerate.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium-high heat.
- Add onion, yellow/red pepper, and cauliflower.
- Sauté until onion is light golden brown; about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, zucchini, broccoli florets, broccoli stems (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems), and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, salt, and pepper.
- Turn heat down to medium-low, cover wok and let the vegetables cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is almost tender.
- Place vegetable mixture in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in wok on medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to wok and cook until lightly browned.
- Pour vegetable mixture back into wok; mix in with chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato paste and water.
- Add the tomato paste and water mixture to the wok and mix in with the vegetables and chicken. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve over fusilli pasta.
- Sprinkle with optional parmesan cheese.