Jewish Apple Cake
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Baking time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Sugar and Moist Ingredients:
- 2 cups sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup safflower oil or vegetable oil of your choice
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1½ cups tart green apples; peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (2-3 medium apples)
Sugar and Spice Filling:
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 12-cup bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- Beat sugar with moist ingredients on medium-high speed for 10 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.
- Prepare apples and set aside.
- Pour ⅓ of the cake batter into the bundt pan.
- Cover the batter with ¾ cup sliced apples.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar and spice mixture over the apples.
- Pour another ⅓ of the batter over the first layer of apples.
- Cover the batter with the remaining ¾ cup sliced apples.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar and spice mixture over the apples.
- Pour remaining batter over the apple layer.
- Bake for 1 hour. The top should be a nice, golden brown color and firm to the touch.
- Cool for at least one hour.
- After cooling invert cake pan over a cake plate and turn out.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.