For Single recipe
(Makes 9 bars)
- One 8x8x2-inch square baking pan
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups + 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ teaspoons of lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 to 3 lemons)
- ⅓ cup flour
For Double recipe
(Makes 18 bars)
- One 13x9x2-inch oblong baking pan
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 6 large eggs
- 2¾ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons of lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 to 6 lemons)
- ⅔ cup flour
Preheat oven to 325°.
- Mix softened butter in a work bowl until creamy and smooth.
- Add flour, powdered sugar, and salt to bowl.
- Mix until well-blended.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Make sure the crust reaches ¾-inch up the sides of the pan to prevent the filling from leaking while baking.
- Bake the crust until golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until light in color and fluffy; 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix in lemon zest and the fresh lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the flour over the lemon mixture and stir until well-blended.
- Pour the lemon batter over the baked crust.
- Bake until set, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Once out of oven, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
- Remove the pan to a rack and cool completely before cutting into bars.