Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
For Single Recipe
(Frosts a two layer 8 or 9-inch cake)
- 4-ounces cream cheese
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), softened
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For Half recipe
(Frosts a one 8 or 9-inch cake)
- 2-ounces cream cheese; softened
- 4 tablespoons butter (½ stick), softened
- 2¼ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth (do not over beat).
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Mix until fluffy and thin enough to spread over cake.
- If necessary, stir in additional lemon juice a teaspoon at a time to achieve optimal spreading consistency.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).