Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cornmeal Scones
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Butter to Cut In:
- 10 tablespoons butter (1 stick + 2 tablespoons)
Additional Flavors to Mix In:
- Zest of one lemon
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400°. If using a convection oven, preheat to pure convection 375°. Note: I only use pure convection if I am baking more than one cookie sheet of scones at a time.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cardamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Mix lemon zest, white chocolate chips, coconut, and optional walnuts.
- In a small bowl mix together buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add to buttermilk and vanilla to dry ingredients.
- Sprinkle lemon juice into the work bowl.
- Stir together gently with a fork.
- Use your hands to finish pulling the dough together into a ball.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Using the palm of your hand press the dough into a 1-inch thick round that is about 8 to 9-inches in diameter.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Note: For a more traditional looking scone, use a knife to cut the round into 8 triangular-shaped wedges.
- Bake in oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- If desired, brush tops of scones with lemon glaze while still warm from the oven.